Library formally dedicated

874
0

The dedication ceremony for the new Irving Goleman libAdd an Imagerary was held Tuesday, Dec. 7.

The dedication was to commemorate the completion of the new library building, which opened Aug. 16. The ceremony featured Dr. Daniel Goleman, son of the late Irving Goleman, as a guest speaker.

Dr. Susan Cota, interim president of Delta College, as well as the board of trustees and several people involved in the renovation of the library spoke at the event.

“A library is like a kitchen,” said Cota, opening the ceremony, “The kitchen is where people gather in a house, and the library is where people gather at a college.”

A representative from Sen. Jerry McNerney’s office presented Delta College with a certificate of special Congressional recognition for the new library, stating that “this is a victory for the community.” Representatives from the offices of state Assembly members Cathleen Galgiani,
Alyson Huber, and Lois Wolk also presented Delta College with certificates of recognition.

Goleman spoke mostly about his father’s work as an educator, focusing on Irving Goleman’s dedication to his students.

“The first paper he would assign to his students was an autobiography,” Goleman said. “He would meet with each student afterwards and assign unique assignments to each student.”

“It’s appropriate that he’s remembered in a library,” Goleman added.