Lady Mustangs hitting a powerful stride at just the right time

828
0

The Delta women’s team is playing their best basketball of the season.

Coming off of six straight wins against conference opponents the Lady Mustangs have put themselves in position finish the season as one of the top teams in the Big 8 Conference and make a post-season run.

“We want to be champs,” said freshman guard Rechel Carter. “The last few games we’ve been picking it up hard, real hard.”

The Lady Mustangs may have found their niche in defense.

“Last week we started pressuring teams having found success in it,” said head coach Gina Johnson.

An uptempo aggressive style on the defensive side has translated in to better offensive production for the Lady Mustangs.

“We’re trying to force opponents out of their rhythm, we’ve struggled at times scoring so we’ve got to do something on the defensive end,” said Johnson.

“We’re shooting 40 percent from the field which is a high for the conference, so I feel like offensively we have got into rhythm.”

The Lady Mustangs have taken advantage of their athletic roster and deep bench in forms of guard/forward Rechel Carter (8.5 points-per game) and guard Anna Nguyen (8.2 ppg).

To add to the mix is 6-foot tall forward Gabby Munsch who’s rebounding and scoring ability is a mismatch for teams inside.

With the teams style, having a bench that goes as deep as its roster is an edge that others teams may not have.

Even with an impressive stretch of wins, Delta’s women are still looking to improve.

“It’s still frustrating at times, I think we could capitalize on more turnovers,” said Coach Johnson. “But hopefully we’ll get better.”

Today the Lady Mustangs have a chance to win seven straight games and avenge every loss thus far if with a victory over first place Santa Rosa Jr. College.

The home game tips off at 6 p.m. in the Blanchard Gym.