Delta ready to make noise: Mustangs win 9th in a row, head into playoffs

762
0

Throughout the first half of the Lady Mustangs 62-38 victory against Modesto Junior College it was hard to believe the team who had been on a eight-game winning streak was in fact the Mustangs.

Nevertheless the halftime score was 29-20, a bit of a disappointment to head coach Gina Johnson.

“I thought the first half we played really poorly, (we) had a hard time converting and finishing,” said Johnson.

Positives in the early going were consistent ball movement, effective full court pressure, and the assertion of sophomore forward Gabby Munsch, who was a force in the paint.

Throughout the second half the Lady Mustangs kept up the suffocating defense, but more importantly the team began to wear down the Pirates of MJC.

Wendy Canez’s three pointer midway through the second half put Delta up by 15.
The lead continued to build with Canez’s slick pass to Lynice Shallberger for a reverse layup that seemed to be the dagger.

The win is especially important to Johnson and the team because it assures Delta a first round home game for the playoffs.

“We’ll probably be a five seed and we’ll play at home a good chance next Saturday against a 12 or 13 seed,” said Johnson, who’s team is hitting thir stride at just the right time.

“Hopefully we keep improving, ’cause that’s our goal,” Johnson added. We’re a little unpredictable as a team sometimes but they work really hard.”