Softball team on beat, ranked No. 1

842
0

The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Zac Brown Band. Rock. Country. Music.

This is not a story of songs, but of a team playing on the same beat.

These artists, along with many others, are part of a playlist blasting off of an iPod at the Delta softball team’s afternoon practice as the team prepared for the upcoming week.

The vibe was casual, not what you would expect from the state’s number one team currently sitting at 31-0.

“He (Coach Jim Fisher) turns the music up really loud so we can communicate on the field. It’s so we have to be louder,” said infielder Katie Etcheverry.

What is so special about this team?

What ingredient does this group of women have that others don’t?

There is pitcher Katie Cotta, undefeated this season and averaging nearly two strike-outs an inning.

Adding to the mix is Erica Mireles (.530 in league), Rachel Borges (returning all conference, .500 in league), and Mia King, who Fisher is says “is having an incredible year.”

From the outside looking in, the obvious answer would be these players.

But the players say it’s about team unity and working together.

“I love my team. Seriously, that’s what it’s about. When I go out there I just don’t strike everybody out,” said Cotta. “People have to field behind me.”

The unity and love between players continues off the field as well as on it.

Team members say they spend time together on weekends and hangout together.

That fact is evident by the laughs and nicknames being shouted around during drills. The women say they are more than teammates, they are friends.

Somewhere in the laughs and the smiles is a team that is mean, a team that’s worked hard.

The players do plyometric and body weight workouts daily and directly credit the shape they are in to their success.

In the past month, the Lady Mustangs have only allowed three runs, compared to seventy-one scored.

Team members acknowledge that opponents give them their best shot every outing.

“My mentality is that any given day someone can come and knock you off,” said Borges. “Everyone is going to be gunning for us because we’re undefeated and they want to be the one to knock us off.”

Despite an unblemished record they aren’t a arrogant bunch.

“I don’t measure us against anyone but ourselves,” said Fisher. “However, it works out, that’s how it works out, but so far we’ve answered the ball every time.”

The Lady Mustangs continue their winning run on Saturday at home when they take on Sacramento City College for a double header.

The games are set to start at 12 p.m.