Stockton rapper strives to be a role model

762
0

Greg Rodriguez, 22, is a San Joaquin Delta College student known in the hip hop community as G3.

The Stockton-raised Rodriguez started thinking about rap as a serious career in early 2010, looking to make a difference in the world, be a positive influence in the community and a role model for children.

“I want to make the world a better place through the art of rapping,” Rodriguez said. “Why not motivate kids with music? I can just express myself more clearly, and be a positive role model.”

His style of rap contains positive messages, from how to overcome obstacles, to living your dreams.

It seems as if anything is possible in his lyrics and eyes.

Growing up in a musically inclined household jump-started G3’s interest in music at an early childhood.

His father was a classic rock fan listening to bands such as Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Beatles, while his mother was a disco funk fan.

“When my mom put on her old school mix on Sunday morning I knew it was time to clean,” he said.

Rodriguez’s older brother listened to ‘90s rock and hip hop, which allowed the artist to expand his listening range at a young age.

While in elementary he played clarinet for two years.

“I quit because I didn’t want to be a band geek, to be honest,” he said, laughing. “But if I could go back I would have stuck to it I would want to learn how to play the piano, and flute as well, not care about what kids said.”

As he grew older his love for rap and hip-hop progressed with his main influences being Eminem, Nas and Lupe Fiasco.

“No rapper is as superior as Eminem,” he said. “He is my biggest influence because I can relate to his music and lyrics, now I feel like I should pay it forward.”

Rodriguez said he wants to take the talent he has, spread it throughout Stockton and not stop until his dream of landing a record deal comes within reach.

He has done about 13 shows in total throughout Stockton and Modesto, the most major being at the Plea for Peace Center, a non-profit organization located downtown off on East Weber Avenue.

“That was my first time performing on a big stage by myself, without my group,” he said.

His group’s name is Port Sity, named to represent Stockton.

The group consists of producer Kevin Villarin, also a Delta college student, Keith Davis, also known as “Trust,” Derek Graves, also known as “Phreygo,” and Leland Madrazo.

The group made a mix tape titled “The Introductory” last year mid summer.

Rodriguez’s next solo mix tape titled “Love, Samples, Snares” is scheduled to drop April 19.

He is excited, because he said he feels as if he has progressed as an artist. The plan is to promote this mix tape and stay in the studio until it is finished.

“On this next solo mix tape, it’s feel good music for everyone. Kids, girls, fellas, they’ll all wanna hear it,” he said.

He wants to establish his name, as a serious white rapper, which he says, is difficult. Nothing will stop him, he said.

“I want to establish myself as a local Stockton rapper, get a record deal and then bring my whole group Port Sity to the top,” he said.

He can sum his passion up in one verse: “I don’t do it for the VIP, I do it for the kids who wanna be like me.”