Performing arts division to host cultural festival

552
0

Peace, Love, and You (P.L.A.Y.) is hosting an Artists of the Spirit event Saturday, May 14 from 6-8 p.m. in the Warren Atherton Auditorium.

P.L.A.Y. is the performing arts division of the Cultural Heritage Council of San Joaquin County, a registered non-profit organization established in 2007.

“We represent the dynamic, multi-ethnic diversity of this region,” said founder and Executive Director of the Cultural Heritage Council, Robert Rojas. “Our mission is to bring this diversity to life by sharing the heritage, history, and traditions of the people of the region.”

In 2006, Rojas began to research Stockton’s demography and met up with leaders from a variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds.

“I discovered their similar goals of preserving their cultures, heritage, and histories; and a strong desire for sharing their traditions and values with the greater community,” said Rojas.

He formed a team and together they created a community network connecting the county’s diverse ethnic and cultural groups. Since then, the group gas hosted more than 60 events and continue to be a resounding voice of the region’s
artistic diversity.

Delta’s Associated Student Body Government, Cultural Awareness Program and various clubs are also currently partnered with the organization. The Delta Graphic Arts Department helped design multiple layouts for the Artists of the Spirit flyer and advertisements.

“We encourage more students to get involved,” said Rojas. “And to get the communities support by joining with us to promote and create more events.”

The Artists of the Spirit is a cultural performing arts showcase. It will be P.L.A.Y.’s second multicultural production in San Joaquin County. The organization’s hope is to unite cultural groups and organizations using the arts as a bridge.

The showcase will feature various cultures and ethnics through arts including Native American, Moroccan, Folklorico of Mexico, Tinikling Filipino dancing, instrumental and dances of India, American Tribal and more.

“There are opportunities right here, right now to join the Cultural Heritage Council and represent our greatest strength, the diverse people in our communities,” stated Rojas. “If we pull together, we can really change the fabric of Stockton, San Joaquin County, and the region.”

For tickets and additional information, call (209) 639-8009 or go to http://bit.ly/l8x7px.