Bookstore hit again

522
0

Campus store struck by thieves second time this semester, raising security concerns

PICKING UP THE PIECES: The electronics display was the target of the Nov. 14 theft. PHOTO BY BRIAN RATTO

The San Joaquin Delta College bookstore has been burglarized for the second time this semester.

On Monday, Nov. 14, at 2:30 a.m., three unknown suspects shattered the front door of the bookstore with a large hammer and stole various electronic devices and accessories, according to Delta College police.

The suspects were in the store for 90 seconds, and in that time managed to steal “several thousand dollars” worth of goods, according to Delta Police Officer Jim Bock.

The incident, which bears similarities to the Sept. 25 bookstore burglary, is still being investigated.

Although response time was shorter for this incident, with police on scene one minute after an alert from the alarm company was received, Bock says the police are also considering tightening security at the bookstore.

“We’re actively meeting with the bookstore’s manager…planning to improve the physical security of the building and the internal processes,” he said.

Students echoed the need for extra security when asked about the incident.

“It is ridiculous, it has happened once, I thought it would not happen again,” said Andrea Contreras, 20. “

CAUGHT ON TAPE: One of the suspects is captured on a bookstore security camera. PHOTO COURTESY DELTA POLICE

The bookstore needs more security.”

Bock emphasized efforts the police were taking investigating this incident.

“The district takes great pride in providing a safe environment,” he said, adding that “[The district] is offering a $1000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of these suspects.”

Anyone with information about the burglary can contact the Delta Police Department at (209) 954-5000.