Puente to host Valentine’s dance

689
0

The Puente Club will be hosting its first Valentine’s Day dinner and dance on Saturday, Feb. 11.

The event will be sponsored and held at Carolina’s Taqueria on 4555 N. Pershing Ave. in Stockton from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.

Advance tickets are being sold daily in the campus quad in front of Danner Hall.

The  discounted price through Friday is $15 for a single ticket and $20 per couple.

Prices at the door will be $20 for single and $25 per couple.

There will be a candle-lit buffet dinner that will consist of plenty of Mexican dishes such as tacos, enchiladas and sopes.
Non-alcoholic drinks will also be provided with dinner.

Live music and dancing will follow dinner that will be provided by club member, DJ Effexz.

There will be a semi-formal dress code consisting of slacks and a collared shirt for guys and a dress or skirt for girls.

“This is a fundraising event to raise money for an annual Southern California trip for the Puentistas, which will hopefully cover all costs for the 20 most active club members,” said club President Ana Arriaga.

The trip takes place during Spring Break and offers the opportunity to tour five university campuses in 3 days including: California State University, Long Beach, University of California, Los Angeles, University of California, Riverside, Cal Poly Pomona and California State University, San Bernardino.

“The trip provides members wider options about their choices of transfer schools,” said Arriaga.

The dance serves as a new fundraising opportunity for the club.

“We used to raise our money through the Delta Flea Market,” said California Dream Network Representative and Puente club member, Iliana Plascencia. “But since the board took that away from us we had to find a new way to raise money to fund our trip and so we are hoping this Valentine’s event will help us raise enough.”

The club is known for mentoring its members by connecting students with the resources available to them.

“We are a support group for students that want to transfer to 4 year institutions, and we help build leadership skills through community service,” said Arriaga.

The Puente Club holds meetings every Friday at 12 p.m. in the North Forum.

Those interested in the club can view news and updates about the club on their Facebook page by searching for “Delta Puentistas.”