SkillsUSA students win gold at statewide competition

491
0

SkillsUSA is a national skill organization that serves more than  320,000 high school and college students and professional members enrolled in training programs in technical, skilled and service occupations, including health occupations.

SkillsUSA programs include local, state and national competitions.

During these competitions, students compete in various hands-on skill and leadership contests. Delta College has previously hosted the SkillsUSA Region 5 Competition, a preliminary contest that included around 500 competitors.

Five Delta participants emerged from the challenge with gold medals for their expertise in a particular trade.

Those wins allowed the students to compete in the state SkillsUSA competition in San Diego where six students brought home more gold medals.
Now the students are entitled to participate in the national competition in Kansas City in June.

The SkillsUSA Championships is the showcase for the best career and technical students in the nation. Participation in these competitions is an asset to the student and employer. “The program prepares you for the work force,” said Renata Zarapa.

Recently, SkillsUSA has added new contest categories to the event such as welding art/sculpture, fire fighting, community service and T-shirt design.

“We want more students with different skills to participate in the program,” said Jonathan Buyco, a SkillsUSA national competitor.

With 170 career and certificate training programs, Buyco said he encourages like-minded students to get involved.