Determination, drive needed to transfer

466
0

After six semesters here at Delta College, I will finally be transferring to California State University Northridge (CSUN) in the fall. Words cannot express my excitement as I continue to move forward in my college career.

I have successfully endured the tedious transfer process here at Delta. And having done so allows me to say, from one student to another, that the struggles we’re facing here will only continue once we transfer.

Throughout the duration of my time here at Delta I have encountered obstacles that I am certain others can identify with. Delta’s overpopulated campus is the greatest issue, serving as a domino effect for more problems.

Delta has too many students fighting for the same classes.

Because this is a community college, the majority of the students attending have every intention of transferring and need to complete their general education (GE) courses.

That said, the problem surfaces when the demand for classes and space is not supplied. There are too many students, and not enough courses to satisfy the demand.

Unfortunately, the California State University (CSU) and the University of California (UC) systems are experiencing similar problems due to budget cuts and tuition increases.

I came to Delta in Fall 2009 after leaving Hampton University in Virginia my freshman year due to financial strain. Believing that coming home and finishing my GE courses at a community college would be the wisest and most cost effective option, I returned home in good spirits.

Unfortunately, it did not take long for my good spirits to dissipate.

I soon learned that while transferring to Delta was convenient, it was not going to be easy.

It has been a struggle trying to secure the classes needed to satisfy my GE requirements.

Over-population and a decrease in funding have resulted in a lengthened and rather tedious community college experience.

That said, believing that I’d had my fill of community college life, I attempted to transfer to a four-year university two semesters ago.

It was then that I faced more disturbing news: CSU and UC campuses were no longer accepting lower division transfer students, meaning students with less than 60 units would not be admitted.

By then I had only acquired a little more than 40 units, and this news put a huge dent in my plans.

Nevertheless, I remained at Delta and pressed on. I fought the urge to quit altogether, and I continued to labor to get into classes and meet my 60-unit requirement.

Had it not been for my determination to pursue a higher education at a four-year university, I doubt I would be transferring this semester at all.

Fortunately, I am graduating on May 24 with an associate’s degree in Interdisciplinary Arts and Humanities and transferring to CSUN in the fall.

I had the privilege of visiting CSUN two weeks ago. I took a campus tour and met with an advisor of the communications department. During our appointment he let me know, rather painstakingly, that it will be very hard to get classes for popular majors.

This information put an instant frown on my face.

After struggling to get into classes here at Delta for six semesters, I was looking forward to relaxing.

I did not want to worry if the class I needed would be available. I did not want to fight for priority registration. I wanted to finish my last two years of college in a more relaxed state of mind.

But it seems that will not be the case.

All of that said, let me leave you with this: One, the ingredients needed to make a smooth transition from Delta to a four-year university are focus and drive. If you have these, you will succeed no matter the obstacle.

And two, due to budget cuts and the state of the economy, be aware that when you leave here, you will need to take the same fight and determination with you.