Today’s decisions affect tomorrow’s outcome

14
0
SHARE

Political fever is hitting the nation, but will Delta students take notice and vote for change?

Most people are aware of the upcoming November election.

It’s been all the rage, especially with national convention for both the Republican and Democratic parties recently.

The convention included a number of speeches, from actor Clint Eastwood’s hysterical rant to an empty chair to an empowering speech by Civil Rights leader John Lewis.

Both parties are scrambling to gain support before the Nov. 6 election.

Outside of all the media hype, is there enough to gain the interest of Americans? Particularly young Americans?

In a country where it is our constitutional right to voice our opinions and have the opportunity to vote for someone or something that represents our general views, it is disappointing to see that young citizens choose not to vote or even show any concern in the elections whatsoever.

Roughly around twelve percent of eligible young voters take the opportunity to vote, according to Point, Click, Vote.

The presidential race may have a bigger impact on the world but campus elections can also be vital to students and the education system as a whole.

If young people choose not to participate in the elections on a large scale, then it is must be crazy to think that young people would participate in an election on a smaller scale.

Consider Proposition 30.

A yes vote on the proposition would raise state sales tax by 3.45 percent and create new income tax brackets on people who earn $250,000 or more per year.

Some of those taxes would be invested into schools and colleges.

The University of California Board of Regents said that “if the initiative fails, the system is scheduled to receive a budget reduction of $250 million dollars this year and lose an additional $125 million next year.”

If Proposition 30 passes, 89 percent of temporary tax revenues will go toward elementary and high school educations. The remaining 11percent will go to community colleges, such as Delta College.

If the education system, continues to loose money that would surely result in faculty dismissal and more program cuts.

Though you may not feel the immediate effects of an issue, consider the future, your younger sibling or someone you know who may want to attend Delta College.

They may be denied an education because of deep budget cuts that may have been prevented if you took the time to vote.

If people don’t take advantage of the right to vote — whether it be for the president of the United States or president of the school — we will take a turn for the worst.

People may no longer be able to voice their opinions, they will lose their power to elect a leader allowing the wrong person to take control, and they will see their world crumble literally and physically.

If you don’t vote, you don’t have the right to complain.

There is power in numbers, so do your part.