Commentary: Justice comes down upon Sandusky

488
0

Former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky was finally sentenced 30-60 years in prison on Oct. 9.

He was found guilty in June of 45 counts of child sexual abuse.

He was convicted of molesting 10 boys in a 15-year period. Some witnesses claimed Sandusky used his charitable organization for troubled children as a means to lure victims.

Judge John Cleland was responsible for Sandusky’s sentence.
Cleland noted Sandusky is dangerous and will abuse the trust of young boys.

Sandusky cannot be released on parole due to a Pennsylvania law before the sentence’s minimum term is reached.

Sandusky’s arrest last year truly changed the way he was known and looked at by the people that admired him.

He went from an outstanding defensive coach for the football team that everyone respected, to a person hated by a good percentage of the country.

Sandusky still stands behind his claim of innocence and plans to appeal the conviction.

Eight of the victims were in attendance during the trial and explained some of the disturbing acts Sandusky made towards them.

The claims ranged from oral sex to anal intercourse.

One of the most controversial witnesses was former graduate assistant Mike McQueary who said he saw

Sandusky forcing himself on a little boy in the locker room showers.

Sandusky declined all those accusations.

“I’ve forgiven, I’ve been forgiven. I’ve comforted others, I’ve been comforted. I’ve been kissed by dogs, I’ve been bit by dogs,” Sandusky said. “I’ve conformed, I’ve also been different. I’ve been me. I’ve been loved, I’ve beenhated,” Sandusky said after the sentencing.
The Jerry Sandusky case didn’t just hurt his and his family’s name but it truly destroyed the Penn State Football program

Legendary coach Joe Paterno was forced to step down after a 45-year tenure as head coach.

Paterno was punished by the NCAA for keeping everything he knew about what Sandusky did a secret, and persuading NCAA officials not to report Sandusky in 2001.

The NCAA decided to vacate all of Penn State’s victories from 1998-2011 which put a dent on Paterno’s legacy as he went from the second winningest coach to the twelfth.

Penn State football is no longer considered one of the powerhouses in the nation, recruits have uncommitted from attending the school due to the violations it received and the hurt image brought by Sandusky.

Paterno died earlier this year on Jan. 22  due to lung cancer.