Basketball shoots for success

453
0

Members of the Delta College’s men’s basketball team have one thing on their minds as they gear up for the first tournament of the basketball season — to overachieve and succeed through teamwork.

Although it’s too early to develop an identity as a team, coach Rich Ressa is convinced the way his players are already accustomed to one another will affect their teamwork, which is going to be, what he believes, a strength for his players.

Most of the players have been part of the basketball program and have already played with one another since last season.

“One of our advantages, one of our strengths, would be our familiarity with each other and our ability to play together as a team,” said Ressa. “Being able to play as a team, understanding other teammates strengths and weaknesses and where the players should get the ball and not get the ball, I think that will be apart of our advantage this year.”

Compared to previous teams, Ressa commends this year’s group on mental toughness and ability to handle the game’s adversity quickly and efficiently.

Ressa’s plans to making the season successful is to improve every day through practice, focusing on multiple aspects of the game, including pressure situations a game might give players or detail of the fundamentals of basketball.

“Our goal, as is every year, is to overachieve. What that takes is a complete buy in by every member; from the grey shirts, the guys that see a lot of playtime and to players who are asked to contribute in other ways.”

The men’s basketball team will participate in a tournament Nov 8-10 at Ohlone College in Fremont. There the team will compete against power teams such as Ohlone College, Shasta College and Sacramento City College.