What’s wrong with people? Holiday plague

374
0

It seems as if Christmas comes earlier each year.

But not in a good way.

Normally, Christmas music, decorations and super sales promising discounts pop up around Thanksgiving, even a little before.

Then we have what’s considered the biggest shopping day of the year, Black Friday. Or, as I like to call it, “trample-each-other-to-get-a-deal” day.

This year, the media and store chains began the Christmas rush of ornaments, festive music and sales the week before Halloween.

That’s right. The pumpkins didn’t even have time to rot before the jolly green and red decorations went up.

I’m surprised we haven’t started carving reindeer and Santa on pumpkins yet.

I’m sorry, but since when does Halloween and autumn in general mean Christmas?

Are we combining holidays now? Should I expect children to be knocking on my door trick-or-treating in elf outfits expecting me to hand out turkey and pecan pie?

Let’s just do away with Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas and have a Merry Thanksgivoween. Maybe I should patent that and make some money.

I just love having sales shoved down my throat. And it’s such a joy worrying about getting gifts in October before everything is gone.

Yes, gifts are a big part of the holiday season but that is not what it is all about. The holidays are about coming together and being with family appreciating what you have. Or in some cases “Uncle Jim” hitting on the neighbor lady because he had too much peppermint schnapps.

This year I would have thought the Presidential election would put a hold on the holiday ads and decorations, but no such luck.

Apparently tinsel and candy canes are much more important.

I mean it’s not like he makes decisions that affect the entire country or anything.

The economy is barely stable and people don’t have the money to buy gifts like they did year’s before.

Retailers, vultures as I call them, have seen this as a chance to attack unsuspecting prey.

Layaway for Walmart began at the start of October. Other retailers already have pre-lit trees out.

Christmas is a disease. It begins with the advertisements giving you butterflies in your stomach then transitions into a sick feeling of stress.

Stores are madhouses. Tensions run high. There is no relaxing and enjoying the holiday.

By the time the day arrives you’re just ready for the whole thing to be over.

There are presents to buy, cookies to bake, a tree to decorate and parties to throw or the whole thing will just be a complete disaster of family actually spending time together.

The holidays should be enjoyable, not make you want to pull your hair out.

What’s worse, children aren’t looking forward to Christmas stories as they once were. Little Johnny wants an iPad and to go in his room not sit around with the family.

And it all started with Christmas creeping into October.

Next year I wouldn’t be surprised to see this idiotic tradition starting up in August or perhaps we’ll all just leave our decorations up year-round. Most people do that anyway.

There are so many other things to worry about like rent, bills and getting food on the table but nothing seems to be more important than the almighty sales of the holiday season.

What’s wrong with people?