Celebrity brain drain

419
0

In our culture, turning on almost any television station or picking up almost any magazine, we hear news about movie or television stars.

What’s up with that?

Why does our society care so much about these people who are not so different from us?

Do we obsess over the things our neighbor is doing next door?

No.

So why do we obsess over celebrities?

I don’t care that Kanye West and Kim Kardashian are having an out-of-wedlock baby.

I also don’t think “Who Has the WORST bikini Body?!?!?” is a legitimate story idea, along with some unnecessarily graphic pictures, that needs to be shared with the world.

We live through these pretty people vicariously.

Who doesn’t want a mansion in Beverly Hills with millions of dollars and a football player husband?

But since the average person cannot have these awesome amenities, watching the latest episode of “Desperate Housewives” satisfies their psyches.

Professional golfer Tiger Woods had sex with a bunch of women while married so do thousands of other married men.

He is, however, especially demonized and requires a public apology in order to not be seen as the anti-Christ.

If the folks in our society took the amount of time that they spend watching those shows and reading those magazines, and applied that time to bettering themselves and their lives, then those people would be that much closer to the “lifestyles of the rich and famous.”

I acknowledge it is used as entertainment to distract us from the problems of life, work and school.

It is a form of relaxation to flop on the couch and turn on an episode of “Keeping up With the Kardashians.”

The fact remains, however: Time can be spent doing something more productive.

Read a book.

Go to work.

Do community service.

Feed the hungry.

Spend time with your family.

Anything but giving your time, money and energy to celebrities who get married for 55 hours, go on rampages and shave their head.