Delta Hip Hop Congress promotes literacy in Stockton

540
0

Delta College’s Hip Hop Congress is one of many clubs trying to make a difference in Stockton.

The organization promotes community volunteerism and creativity throughout local schools.

A recent community effort called  Hip Hop You Don’t Stop reading tour, included giving away more than 1,500 books to local elementary students.

San Joaquin Delta student, Quan James began the program to inspire and encourage students who don’t have anyone in their lives to motivate them towards education.

He is leaving the Stockton location this year and has plans to create a program in Los Angeles that maintains the same positive attitude.

“I just want to have as much impact on the kids as they have on me,” said James.

The campus group participates in literacy improvement events at least once each month.

The children are given the books to promote literacy and improved reading scores throughout local elementary schools.

James stresses the importance of Stockton children having a positive role model who has grown up in the same city and has become a success. The reading tour will be taken over by Timothy Brown, the incoming Hip Hop Congress club president.

The program has been a success in itself, with several bookings from local schools and great attention from the city.

Three certificates were presented to Hip Hop Congress honoring the club for its work with children at this April’s local All-City Poetry Slam at Franklin High School.