Making a lasting memory: Items sought for college’s 50th anniversary time capsule

650
0

This semester, Delta College students have a chance to be part of history. At the end of the spring term, a time capsule containing unique Delta memories will be preserved on campus.

A committee appointed by Superintendent/President Dr. Kathy Hart made of three faculty and staff retirees is currently seeking items to be placed in the capsule.

The 50th Anniversary Time Capsule Committee is accepting mementos in the mail room through the semester’s end.

“A time capsule has moments of the time and the College. We hope to put some DVDs of today’s Delta with instruction on what type of machine to play them on,” said Delmar McComb, Time Capsule Committee chairperson, in an email interview.

The capsule is the size of a shoebox, said McComb.

It will be placed in the Goleman Library, where a previous time capsule was sealed away in 1985 but removed during recent renovations to the campus building.

The 1985 capsule contains memories of the Stockton College, before Delta was created. Delta College is the offspring of Stockton College.

The new time capsule is expected to be opened on Delta’s 100th anniversary in 2063.

Earlier this year, Rio Hondo College in Whittier buried a time capsule on their campus to commemorate its 50th anniversary.

That time capsule had 28 items, including: copies of the student newspaper, brochures of campus events, a CD of campus photos, a cell phone and a college T-shirt.

The committee is asking students to help build the memories of Delta by donating an item that’s related to the campus.

A dedication of the time capsule is schedule for October.