Culinary Arts program serves Delta population

384
0
STUDENT CHEF: Staff and students have lunch in the dining room while being served by Culinary Arts students. PHOTO BY JERMAINE DAVIS

The Delta College Student Chef’s Lounge is serving some of the best food on campus but few students take advantage of the fresh dishes and quiet environment available.

The lounge is located in Danner Hall.

On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, visitors to Danner may see students walking around campus with brown boxes in hand.

Those are the students that have ordered food to go from the Student Chef Lounge.

Students and staff aren’t the only ones enjoying the food on campus, many customers from outside place orders from work and have lunch inside the lounge.

Having a Student Chef’s Lounge on campus allows the students enrolled in the culinary courses to have hands-on experience being a server, along with making sure customers are satisfied with their service.

There is an alternative, when the cafeteria line is piled up like cars stuck in 5 o’clock traffic, so why aren’t students eating at the Student Chef Lounge more?

Possibly because time isn’t on student’s side with multiple classes to attend throughout the day, but really the main reason is students aren’t paying attention to their surroundings.

“A lot of the time, students stumble over here and never knew the Student Chef’s Lounge existed, which shocks many students … I don’t feel like enough people know about us on campus,” said Jazzmine Hall.

The meals are fresh, the service is fast paced and the mood is mellow, but many students get caught up with price comparison and miss out on the experience.

The hottest item on the menu is the “Delta Burger.”

Visitors can have it prepared however they like, with or without all the essentials such as tomatoes, unions, pickles, lettuce, mayonnaise or mustard. The burger comes with a plate full of thick, filling fries.

The price for the “Delta Burger” is $6 for anyone who attempts to conquer this meal.

This semester there are 12 students in total that work in the front and back of the house, which is challenging at times because usually there’s almost 20 enrolled.

“When we had a full class, we would cook Monday through Wednesday, but now we prep the food on Monday,” said

Instructional Support Assistant McKenzie Harrison. “Now we can only do two days of service with the staff we have, so it’s a problem because their students who’ve never done this before … In a restaurant you only get a few hours to prep then serve,” she added.

The last day to experience the Student Chef’s Lounge this semester is Tuesday, Dec. 26. The lounge will be open from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

“I love what we do here and I expect to see a full house on our final day of the semester,” said Jacquelyn Scarlett.