Lady Mustangs win tournament

435
0
MAKING IT PERFECT: The women’s basketball team warms up during a recent practice on campus. PHOTO BY JERMAINE DAVIS

Delta College’s women’s basketball team is off to a solid start, as the team prepares for Big 8 Conference play.

Though there are new faces on the team this season, the Lady Mustangs still seek to improve on the team’s 11-3 conference record from last  season.

After winning all three games at the Jocelyn Mancebo Classic Tournament, the Lady Mustangs proved that a team with 10 freshmen can play together as a team and make adjustments when necessary.

During the first round of the tournament, Delta out-played Monterey on both ends of the court by playing at a faster pace with a smothering defensive attack that resulted in a land slide 90-54 victory for the Lady Mustangs.

“Our goal is to keep the tempo up … we want to get good shots up and work on certain parts of our game that needs improvement,” said Head Coach Gina Johnson.

The second round game against Fresno City College, a team that finished second in the state and first in the Central Valley

Conference last season, wasn’t as lopsided as the team’s first round match-up.

At the end of the second half both teams were tied 72-72, sending the game into overtime.

Sophomore Forward Asiana Scott made an impact on the game coming off the bench.

In 26 minutes of play she contributed 11 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks, shooting 5-6 from the field.

The Lady Mustangs were able to walk away with a victory, beating Fresno City 82-79.

“I knew our team would do really well. We’re a very talented team and our talents come together really well once we’re in sync,” said Taylor McMiller, a sophomore.

In the third round of the Jocelyn Mancebo Classic Tournament against College of Sequoias, the Lady Mustangs were forced to play at a much slower pace due to the opponent’s style of play.

At halftime the score was 29-26, with Delta trailing by three.

After making adjustments and substitutions, the Lady Mustangs picked up the pace and applied pressure on Sequoias.

The team scored 44 points in the second half, and after a failed last second shot attempt by Sequoias, Delta won the game 70-68 earning the title of winners of the tournament.

“We’ve been doing a lot of CrossFit which we’ve never done before. CrossFit is mentally just as much as it is physically because you get halfway through the workout and think you can’t do it anymore because it’s too tough,” said Assistant Coach Sam Oelsner. “We’re really pushing them to the breaking point mentally, so the team is prepared for whatever the games throw at them this season.”

Making sure the Lady Mustangs are physically and mentally prepared for each game this season is a high priority for the coaching staff. “To come out and win our tournament really told us and show us how much we really want this, so hopefully this carries over and this season goes great,” said sophomore Karleasha Thompson.

The Lady Mustangs next game against Deanza College is 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 27.