Mustangs see split seasons with victories, loses

371
0

Delta College sports teams have endured a lot of up and down results within the Big 8 Conference.

With the baseball, football, water polo and soccer seasons ending for these sports, there are several reasons for Mustang fans to remain positive heading into the spring.

BASEBALL

Delta’s baseball team finished No. 3 in the conference with an overall record of 28-14, going 14-5 at home and 13-8 on the road.

Sophomore Jordan Devencenzi, who earned Big 8 Conference Player of the Month honors in April, ended the season with impressive stats.

Devencenzi had a batting average of .354, with two home runs and 33 runs batted in.

Outfielders Tyler Steib and Rudy Perez, led the team in stolen bases with (21, 16) respectively.

Sophomore pitchers Alex Lott, Sam Held and Matt Valencia led the pitching staff in stats. Lott had an Earned Run Average of .137, while Held won seven games and Valencia recorded 53 strikeouts.

FOOTBALL

Delta’s football team took a step backwards in comparison to the team’s 2012 Silicon Valley Bowl Championship season.

Gary Barlow’s 13th season as head coach for the Mustangs was one he’d probably like to forget.

The team finished last in the conference with a record of 2-8, with a road record of 0-5 in 2013.

Sophomore Running Back Theo Wofford provided a bright spot for the team by leading the conference in rushing yards per game with 106.6 and rushing touchdowns with 15.

Sophomore and freshman Linebacker’s James Christopherson and Adrian Ramos led the team in tackles, Christopherson with 101, 10.1 per game, and Ramos with 85, 8.5 per game.

Freshman Defensive Lineman, Nathan DiDonato also made contributions to the defensive by leading the team in sacks with five.

WATER POLO

The women’s and men’s water polo teams both had good seasons in 2013.

The women advanced to the conference tournament and the men made it to the playoffs.

The women’s team finished with an overall record of 16-15, advancing to the conference tournament winning one out of three games played.

Freshman Nicole Cunningham led the team in points (75), while fellow freshman Victoria Dettloff led in assist (46) and steals (153).

“With all of these girls being freshmen, they really impressed me with how well they played in the tournament. We were so, so close to making it to the Nor Cal Tournament,” said Head Coach Nathan Varosh. “The fact that they were there, they experienced that … the possibilities are endless for next year, we’re really excited.”

The men’s overall record was 7-8, advancing to the playoffs where the team fell to Diablo Valley College losing the match 17-8.

SOCCER

Delta’s men’s and women’s soccer seasons were both hampered with injuries to key players, which made a huge impact in the results on the field.

The men’s team ended its campaign with a disappointing record of 7-10-3, finishing last in the Big 8 Conference with a winning percentage of .425 in 2013.

The women finished fourth in the conference with an overall record of 9-7-5, with an impressive home record of 6-1-4.

The Lady Mustangs advanced to the playoffs as expected, but lost a hard fought battle against Consumer River College 0-1.

Sophomore Goal Keeper Hanna Boger only allowed 11 goals in 20 games played, while freshman Monica Arroyo led the team in points (13).