Student a man of life, leisure

319
0
NOT TYPICAL: Robert Walsh, middle, is an amateur photographer, mechanic and all-around unique student. PHOTO COURTESY OF ROBERT WALSH

Robert Walsh, a 64-year-old Delta College student, is more than your average man.

Walsh began at Delta in 1983, and has returned on and off for 30 years.

NOT TYPICAL:  Robert Walsh, middle, is an amateur photographer, mechanic and all-around unique student. PHOTO COURTESY OF ROBERT WALSH

“Actually some of the first classes I took were work related, I worked for the Department of Corrections for 24 years,” said Walsh.

Walsh worked as a correctional officer for Stockton, and retired recently as a lieutenant about three years ago.

Walsh is also a Vietnam-era war veteran, but he never got out of basic training in 1974 and blew his knee.

“At that time Vietnam was winding down, and they figured I would be more trouble than I was worth,” said Walsh.

Although, Walsh is now a recreational student, he prides himself in staying occupied and agile while taking classes.

“At times I feel somewhat bad that as a recreational student I’m taking someone’s spot,” said Walsh.

Walsh stresses the value of education for adults and young-adults at Delta.

“We’ve got a lot of good programs of study here, and older students can benefit from it just as much as young ones,” said Walsh.

His current classes include History Through Film and a photography lab. He also has numerous hobbies.

Walsh has been pursuing photography for 45 years.

He has been a competition pistol shooter for nearly that long, while working on old-school cars and writing for enjoyment.

“Writing is much more convenient to do now with the web, I’ve always been a fair wordsmith, and bright. I read alot,” said Walsh.

The Pacovilla blog and the Electronics magazine are two forums he currently contributes to.

Walsh has a distinctive style, sporting creative T-shirts and uniform-like attire, among Celtic crosses and torque bracelets a part of Irish culture.

“It’s kind of an artistic and political statement,” said Walsh about his attire.

All around Walsh is more than your average student.

“Sometimes people fool ya,” said Walsh.