Delta basketball teams packs house for annual event

733
0

Delta College students, staff,and fans gathered inside the Joe Blanchard Gym on Feb. 7, for the first “Pack the House” event of 2014.

“It’s pretty cool, we all come out for one game and support each other for one game…. Shows our team pride,” said Head Coach Gina Johnson.
Several student athletes that play sports on Delta athletic teams, were on hand to support the Lady Mustangs on route to a victory against Modesto Junior College.

The team suffered a loss midway through the first half, when freshman Nishalina Buksh went down hard after having her leg rolled over by Adalyn Garza of Modesto.
“I went after the loose ball and ended up getting my leg rolled and heard a pop. The trainers don’t think I tore any ligaments, we just have to wait and see how it feels,” said Buksh.
At halftime the Lady Mustangs led the game 38-31.
In the second half, the pace of the game picked up once the fans in attendance started to make their presence felt.
Delta’s freshman Selena Moore scored 24 points, shooting 6-14 from behind the arc while Sophomore Nyaa Davis contributed with 15 points and 8 rebounds.
“I just owe it all to practice, long hours of practice and getting help from my teammates,” said Moore.
Adalyn Garza led the way for MJC scoring 28 points, shooting 8-14 from the field.
The Lady Mustangs shot 31 percent from the field and the team’s defensive rotations applied much pressure to MJC, which committed 22 turnovers.
Delta’s team has a lot of gifted players with unbelievable talent, but there is always room for improvement.
“We struggled getting rebounds and making dumb fouls. We didn’t play a complete game and what matters is we got the win, we just got to play better,” said Johnson.
The final score of the game was 74-56, moving Delta into a first place tie with Santa Rosa.

Both teams have a conference record of 10-2.
“Keep following the team because we have not played our best basketball, and with your support hopefully we peak during playoff time,” Johnson added.
The Lady Mustangs next game is Feb. 21, on the road against American River College.