Apathy leaves generation paying no heed to rhythm of war drums

847
0

With each bomb that goes off in Syria, the country is met with a deafening roar. On a college campus you’ll be met with a discerning silence.

Turn on a television, go online or flip through a newspaper and you’ll discover that tensions are high around the world.

There’s always been chaos in the world, but with recent issues arising in Crimea and Syria, topped off with talks of there being another cold war, concern should be raised.

As students feed their daily lives with their own personal drama, important world issues can sometimes be drowned out and forgotten.

Students sometime forget there is another world outside of their personal bubbles. Only a select few are passionate and actively protest for those who might not have an active voice.

Delta College student Misoon Ghareeb considers herself to be knowledgeable about international issues.

Ghareeb said students show apathy because the troubles of the world don’t have an immediate effect on them.

“First of all, it doesn’t personally impact students. Also because their peers and surroundings aren’t focused on world issues. If they were to visit a country out of America they would be more involved with what is going on in the world,” said Ghareeb. “Just because you can’t visit a different country with struggle, doesn’t mean you can’t do your part.”

This year, a London-based charity Save the Children, released a PSA entitled “Most Shocking Second a Day Video” onto YouTube, raising the awareness of the children affected by the war in Syria.

The video centered on a young British girl being affected by a hypothetical war that could be easily compared to what Syria has been experiencing.

Bombs exploding, destruction ensuing and sickness developing, the PSA is effective because it demonstrates how universal war could be and how it could impact anyone.

Since the release of the video, it has reached more than 20 million views on YouTube.

The PSA was a success in raising international discussion, and it also raised concern for those who might not be knowledgeable of Syrian issues.

As the video became viral, concern was raised due to the striking images and message.

You don’t need knowledge of producing PSA’s or writing news pieces to spread awareness. All you need in this day and age is an Internet connection.

“I think the smallest things count. Reading a news article online and posting it onto social media matters. And being more aware of the world that they live in is something they can do to show concern,” Ghareeb added.

The Internet is far-reaching and anyone can be touched. This means change can occur with the simple exchange of a link. With the power of social media, anyone can be educated.

The job of a college student is to learn. Not just about formulas or theories, but how they can have a positive effect on the world. The apathetic silence can in fact be broken, but only by using their voices.