Multi-million dollar field approved

830
0
PHOTO BY MIDORI MORITA
PHOTO BY MIDORI MORITA
PHOTO BY MIDORI MORITA

Delta’s soccer field is getting a makeover. Officials approved a $3.7 million relocation of the soccer field on Sept. 9.

The sports field complex was built in 2007 with taxpayer money from Measure L and featured baseball, football, soccer and softball fields.

All fields featured synthetic-turf except the soccer field.

“The current field uses grass and makes it difficult for soccer players to maneuver the ball because you need short grass for soccer. Cutting the grass to the desired length will cause it to die. [The renovation] is the least expensive and is the best fit for the campus,” said Delta College Athletic Director Daryl Arroyo.

In addition to soccer, the current facility also houses track and field events such as javelin throwing which chews up a large section of grass, according to a report from News 10.

Despite the risk for injury, no one has sustained any injuries from the current facility.

The location of the new soccer field will be closer to the baseball and football fields and will take space where current tennis courts are, said Arroyo.

The field will boast amenities such as an artificial turf field, permanent bleachers, press box and a scoreboard as well as integrating the prevalent concession stand and restrooms for baseball and football.

Ten of the 15 tennis courts will be eliminated to make way for the new field.

The remaining five will be remodeled.

The current field will remain intact and will be used for track and field practice.

Delta Men’s Soccer center back defender Sergio Martinez was excited about the news.

“Of course a new soccer field will be great for the team and our community, hopefully that will continue to draw more local players. I prefer turf better because the ball moves smoother and it prepares you for the next level of play,” he said.

Plans for construction are to be announced with a tentative completion in August 2015 before the soccer season begins.