Crime statistics show decrease in Clery Act reported incidents

479
0

Is Delta safe?

This is question is often heard among student and faculty conversations alike.

Delta Police recently attempted to shed some light on the matter.

The department provided statistics showing a decrease in Clery Act reportable criminal activity.

The release provides statistics from Jan. 1 to Aug. 26 of last year, in comparison to this year.

Fifteen Clery-reportable crimes were committed in 2013, compared to only eight in 2014.

“It is difficult to nail down specific causes for the decrease in crime. We get out and speak with students and focus on being as visible as possible,” said Officer Jim Bock.

The report shows a decrease in sexual battery, from three in 2013, to one this year.

There has also been a marked decrease in robbery, with one happening this year, compared to seven in 2013.

The Joanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act is a federal law requiring colleges and universities to disclose certain criminal activity that happens on or around campus.

It requires the department to publish an annual security report, maintain a public crimelog, disclose crime statistics, and issue warnings about crimes that pose an ongoing threat to students and employees.

Not all crime is Clery-reportable.

The news release provides statistics on murder/non-negligent manslaughter, negligent manslaughter, forcible sex offenses, non-forcible sex offenses, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and motor vehicle theft.

“We are also noticing that people are becoming more willing to report crimes. Crime prevention is not just the role of the police department. It is a shared duty between the police department and the community we serve. As we continue to expand our communication the community, as a whole, benefits,” said Bock.

Bock said Delta is a safe place, despite rumors to the contrary.

“What I can tell you with 100% confidence, is that San Joaquin Delta College remains one of the safest public locations in the city of Stockton. You are much more likely to encounter crime while at the malls, or conducting daily business off campus,” he said in an email interview.

Students are noticing the police presence on campus.

“I’ve noticed the increase in police presence on campus. I helps me know that there’s someone around if anything happens,” said student Saul Galvan.

Of the 148 Clery-reportable offenses that happened in Stockton from Jan. 1 to Aug. 26, 2014, only eight occurred on campus.

“The safety of the students and faculty of Delta College is a concern because of the semi frequent instances of theft and other reported misdemeanors, but the campus is relatively safe when precautions are taken,” said student Daniel Salas.

The Delta Police provide TipSoft, an emergency alert system, to all students, staff, faculty, and visitors to the campus.

For more information visit deltacollege.edu.