Boxers look to keep the sport alive after Mayweather, Pacquiao punch out

361
0

Boxing has lost its dominance in popular culture but it’s far from dead.

The sweet science is continuing on even with the upcoming retirement of Floyd Mayweather Jr.

For those looking for names to pay attention to in the meantime and after Mayweather’s retirement here are five to keep an eye on.

Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin, a 31-year-old middleweight hailing from Michigan with a 31-0 record and 22 knock outs (KOs).

Quillin is an action fighter whose defense is throwing punches.

He’s one of the most exciting fighters who is up there in age but looks younger with each fight.

Even though Quillin is the WBO champion, a true test against an elite fighter is long overdue.

With no scheduled fight, Quillin is targeting Miguel Cotto and Genady “Triple G” Golovkin or any middleweight champion.

Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev, a 31-year-old light heavyweight from Russia, currently holds an undefeated record of 25-0 with one draw and 23 KOs.

Kovalev is known for physically destroying his opponents with massive power from both hands.

His last 13 straight wins have come by way of knockout, with each more brutal than the last.

He’s definitely one to watch for a fan loving the big knockout.

His next bout is scheduled on Nov. 18 versus Bernard Hopkins in Atlantic City, New Jersey on HBO.

Keith “One Time” Thurman, a 25-year-old welterweight out Florida.

Thurman has a perfect record of 23-0 with 21 wins by KO. He’s set in prime position to take the place of Pacquiao and Mayweather in the welterweight division as they’re inching towards retirement.

Some would claim he’s untested by the elites of the division, but he has tremendous power and incredibly difficult to hit cleanly.

The future is bright for Thurman if he can get fights and avoid the Andre Ward treatment of boxers fearing a fight versus him. Thurman has no upcoming fights scheduled but rumors of a December bout on HBO.

Terrence Crawford, a 27-year-old lightweight from Nebraska with a perfect record of 24-0 with 17 KOs.

Crawford is patient and deadly with every move inside the ring. A pure boxer with the power to be devastating but smart enough to keep out of danger and win fights.

Crawford makes any boxing fanatic happy with smooth punches with dazzling speed and also gets a crowd roaring with exciting fights and knockout power.

Still an up and comer, the future is definitely heading towards greatness and a pound for pound top ten ranking someday.

Crawford’s next fight is scheduled for Nov. 29 in Nebraska on HBO.

Deontay “The Bronze Bomber” Wilder is a 28-year-old heavyweight from Alabama with massive power.

Wilder has a record of 32-0 with all wins coming by way of knockout. For those looking for a next great heavyweight, Wilder is the one to watch.

Wilder has never seen the fifth round in a fight. Nothing like the speed Tyson had, but the power is something to behold.

If there’s any hope for an American heavyweight to captivate audiences again, Wilder is that. He has no upcoming fights as of yet, but a fight versus Bermane Stiverne is in the works with the winner set up to face and potentially dethrone Wladimir Klitchko.