There’s no need to fear feminism

782
0

It seems the idea of Feminism has a stigma attached to it.

Most men and even women think feminists are a group of man-hating she-beasts that want to take over the world.

This is not true in most cases.

Feminism is the advocacy of women’s rights on the grounds of political, social and economic equality to men.

I didn’t think women wanting to go out and have fun, and not being told to “go back to the kitchen” was a bad thing.

Though feminism has been a hot topic around social media, the feminism and Women’s Rights movement has been around since the 1800s.

That’s right. This isn’t some random group of people that decided the world was unfair.

A big problem that still has feminists mad is the wage gap.

Most people today think the wage gap has been solved, yet this gap is still a problem in the United States.

As of 2013, a full-time, year-round working-woman still made $10,876 less than a man working the same job. Since the Equal Pay Act was passed in 1963, the gap has only moved slightly.

Feminism has entered our social media, our television and our magazines.

It has become more relevant.

More and more, people are starting to realize there are still issues women face today.

Celebrities including Emma Watson, Amy Poehler and Patrick Stewart are feminists and are speaking out about why it’s okay to call yourself a feminist.

But of course, there are people who refuse to be labeled as a feminist.

Thinking that we are just here to burn our bras and throw them at you.

I think the stigma of feminism revolves around two things.

First, most women forget men don’t always have the advantages women do.

Therefore, women will think men never have to suffer in such a way as they do.

Second, the fact that women are realizing they don’t need a man to do things for them.

We are capable of doing everyday things on our own.

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t hold a door open or try to pay for dinner. You should still have some common sense and still be polite to human beings.

There are some extreme feminists out there who do hate men.

Those types are very rare and most feminists just want people to understand what’s happening to men and women in our society.