Boxer doesn’t slow down after four decades, golden age

309
0

Last weekend history was made yet again, and the world is questioning, what old really means?

Bernard Hopkins, 49, took on his greatest challenge in a bout versus the 31-year-old Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev.

Hopkins was dominated by Kovalev for 12 long rounds in a clear one-sided punching affair.

Granted, Hopkins for once began to look his age, or perhaps Kovalev did what was once unthinkable and preventing a great boxer from fighting his game.

The fight, however, was not the real story, but the boxing life of Hopkins.

Born Jan. 15, 1965 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Hopkins grew up in an impoverished project.

Hopkins was drawn to a life of crime and petty thievery.

In 1982, Hopkins was sentenced to 18 years in prison at the age of 17, where he began to learn the craft of boxing.

In 1988, he was released and began a life of training and boxing as a potential way out of his old lifestyle.

Four years after his first fight (a loss), he became the IBF Middleweight champion of the world; this would only be the beginning of Hopkins reign over the middleweight (160 pounds) world of boxing.

From 1993 to 2005 soon after a being defeated by Roy Jones Jr., Hopkins went on to achieve one of the greatest feat’s in boxing by becoming the first boxer to obtain and retain all major titles (WBO, WBC, IBF, WBA and The Ring) unifying the division.

During a 12-year reign, that included 24 victories and one draw, he defeated most of the top-ranked fighters.

Hopkins fought with intent to make his opponent angry. He wasn’t always the cleanest but his tactics proved to always be affective.

However, after two brutal defeats at age 40 to Jermain Taylor most thought Hopkins career would come to a natural end.

Instead, Hopkins continued to box for nine more years.

Since turning the golden age of 40, Hopkins has added 14 more fights to his resume proving that any athlete is able to compete, as he defies what many considered what “old man” means.

It’s difficult  not be impressed.

As he continues to keep on fighting the best young talent available in the Light Heavyweight division (175 pounds).

And the best part is, two months shy of 50 and coming off his worst loss to date, Hopkins is seeking out the next best young talent, looking to become the first 50-year-old champion.

Hopkins is what we wish boxing truly was, not afraid of any fight and giving the fans the best fights.

In Hopkins own words during an interview on HBO’s 24/7: “I still stick to those old boxing ground roots, boxing the best in your division,” he said. “These are the things that motivate me. I’m cut from an old cloth but in a different world we live in today.”