Halloween brings up need for safety

348
0

With Halloween right around the corner, we are all excited for dressing up, trick or treating and parties.
All of this sounds fun but, have you thought about the dangers Halloween can bring and how you can stay safe?
Halloween is by far the deadliest day of the year, according to Orlando-based attorney Michael T. Gibson’s website.
“Avoid texting and taking pictures while walking or in high-traffic areas,” he writes. “Pedestrian accidents have increased due to the amount electronic distractions. The deadliest hour is from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., and 60% of the fatal accidents occurred from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Drivers who struck and killed Halloween pedestrians were most likely to be between the ages of 15 and 25.”
Halloween safety is also important on campus.
“Like everyone, we enjoy the fun associated with Halloween. However, we are living in times where safety is heightened,” said Jim Bock, Delta College District Police spokesperson, in an email interview.
Bock said it’s fun to dress up, but common sense should prevail.
His advice: “1. Don’t wear masks into businesses, buildings, or classes. 2. If your costume has accessories that are weapons, or look like weapons, do not bring them. Swords, firearms and certain knives are illegal. We will continue to provide a high level of patrol throughout our campuses with our focus being on maintaining the safest most enjoyable educational experience possible.”
When it comes to parties, go with someone you know and always be alert.
Not only are these tips specifically for Halloween but also for everyday.
Whether you will be staying in or going out for Halloween to remember to stay safe.