Player is not your average safety (Mustang Spotlight)

386
0

Delta College football safety Ian Montazem is the Mustang Spotlight for this issue of The Collegian.
He attended McNair High School.
Montazem is one of four captains on the team.
He has recorded two interceptions, 40 tackles with 5.0 tackles per game, according to the California Community College Athletics Association (CCCAA).
“My whole team, no matter what the record we all strive for greatness and go out fighting every game,” said Montazem in an email interview.
He said some of his favorite quotes from Head Coach Gary Barlow are: “Palms up is not a good look Montazem” or “Get Up,” he said.
Montazem wants to transfer to continue his education and play football.
Montazem’s game rituals are: “Wake up two hours before and tell my family goodbye and I love them. Head to the school and get some food in my system and listen to some music and talk about the game ahead of us. During that I put out all my gear for the game then go get taped up and ready for our meeting then game.”
Assistant Head Coach Defensive Coordinator Doug Murray added: “Ian continues to work on all needed skill sets, including man to man technique.”
Montazem played his last home game at Lawrence A. DeRicco Field against Fresno City College.
“Even though we did not get the win, I still feel good about suiting up with these guys and knowing that this brotherhood will last a lifetime,” he said. “It was nice going out there and giving it my all for my family, friends and team. I have some things to improve on, so these last two games I hope to perfect them and get myself, my teammates prepared, and on the right track so we can come out on top.”
With only two games left, Montazem has gained some motivation to finish strong.
“I wanted to do better and strive to become the team captain and be somebody to make the big plays when needed and when not to keep our team in the game and so far I feel like I have been doing that job,” said Montazem.