Teaching styles changing

441
0

School districts throughout California have changed teaching styles in the classroom to the Common Core method.

Common Core is a set of high-quality academic standards in mathematics and English Language Arts/Literacy (ELA), according to the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

Having the same standards helps all students get a good education, even if a student changes schools or moves to a different state, according to the California Department of Education.

Teachers, parents and education experts designed the standards to prepare students for success in college and the workplace.

Forty-three states have already adopted the standards.

Common Core was approved at the state level in 2010. The standards were adopted in California on August 2, 2010.

Many students are now taking classes affiliated with the Common Core standards.

“I do think Common Core is helpful because it truly shows your understanding of the subject, rather than a 25 percent chance of getting it right,” said Omar Escobar, an Edison High School student.

Many individuals don’t necessarily agree with the new teaching process. Some students find it more complicated than the previous curriculum.

Common Core has started a debate in education.

Parents are questioning the effectiveness. These standards may be creating a gap between the knowledge of the students and parents.

The Common Core process consists of students doing more than usual. Students must be able to explain reasoning behind work.

“I don’t think I’m gaining anything from this style because it just puts added pressure on kids and extra work,” said Escobar.

Although some disagree with the new technique, others feel differently.

“People have different points of view, but I think it’s a good resource cause it helps kids learn new things and it’s all trying to make things easy and more manageable to teach,” said Iridiana Plascencia, Franklin High School student.