Youth voters expected to decrease for 2016 election

412
0

The number of youth voters has decreased drastically since 2012 and projections expect to decrease even more into the 2016 election season, according to National Public Radio (NPR).

Studies show more youth ages 18-24 vote more when there is a savvy campaign being ran, according to NPR.

For example, the 2008 election of President Barack Obama had one of the highest voter turnouts in history.

“It’s because Obama is a young president. It’s just like pastors of churches, they bring in youth that fits their style of preaching,” said Delta student Everett Hazard.

“An estimated 22 million Americans under the age of 30 voted in the 2008 presidential election,” according to the Independent Voter Network (IVN). With a 51 percent turnout rate, youth voters comprised 18 percent of the electorate that year, said IVN.

“The share of the electorate actually rose in the 2012 presidential election to 19 percent, despite the number of youth voters decreasing to about 20 million,” said IVN.

Student Beau Courtroul identified reasons the youth vote may be down.

“Kids are struggling to survive, they don’t have time to vote,” he said.

Not all people have the luxury of taking time from their day to vote. Average Americans work 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

A member of the broader Stockton community also shed some light.

“It’s true but sad,” said Stockton Police Chaplain Captain Damon Bridges. “Obama represents change and the youth are ready for something new.”