Former Delta basketball star, coach Cozad inducted into Hall of Fame

966
0

Former Delta College basketball player Michelle Cozad was inducted into the California Community College Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Hall of Fame on March 13.

Cozad played for the Mustangs from 2001-03 under the direction of Coach Gina Johnson. During her time at Delta, Cozad was a member of championship teams at every level of competition.

Her resume of achievements at Delta include Bay Area Conference MVP and advancing the Mustangs to the California State Final Four in 2002.

She received the first Team All-State Honors and lead the team to a number four seed for the playoffs in 2003. Cozad currently holds Delta’s single game scoring record of 44 points, season record of 606 points and a career record of 1,328 points.

Cozad also holds Delta’s record for the highest free throw percentage in one season at 84.6 percent. Prior to attending Delta College, Cozad graduated from St. Mary’s High School and also played for the school’s basketball team. Cozad transferred to Santa Clara University in 2003 and continued her success at the Division I level.

Highlights from Cozad’s time at SCU include a West Coast Tournament MVP award and lead the team to an NCAA Tournament in 2005 and became the 15th member of SCU’s 1,000 Point Club and chosen as the West Coast Conference Player of the Week six times in 2006.

Cozad returned to Delta in 2007-08 and was an assistant coach before beginning her career in Social Services as a Program Coordinator for adults with disabilities.