SaberCats roar to championship at Stockton Arena

736
0

The San Jose SaberCats captured its first championship, since 2007, by defeating the Jacksonville Sharks, 68-47 in Arena Bowl XXXVIII at Stockton Arena on Aug. 30.

The Sharks (12-9) led the SaberCats (20-1) 33-27 at the half, yet weren’t able to take control in the second half.

San Jose took advantage of three turnovers that turned into touchdowns.

“We knew we had to stay the course,” said SaberCats quarterback Erick Meyer. “Coach [Darren] Arbet said you guys are hyped up a little bit. We’ve done that all year.”

Meyer completed 17-29 passes for 204 yards and four touchdowns. He also he ran for two touchdowns.

SaberCats wide receiver Reggie Gray finished with nine catches for 95 yards.

“At one time in my career, I wanted to go down as one of the best,” said Gray. “You can’t do that without winning that ultimate goal, a championship.”

SaberCats Defense back David Hyland helped the defense out by intercepting two passes returning both for scores.

The highlight of the night was made by Sharks wide receiver, Tiger Jones, who made an unbelievable 15-yard touchdown catch while flipping over the boards.

With the victory San Jose became the first team to have a 20-game win season in Arena Football.

Arbet moved into sole possession of second place on the Arena Football all-times list with postseason victories, while capturing his fourth Arena Bowl title.