Highlighting Delta: Expansions in Delta’s drama department

670
0

Delta has a history of memorable plays, actors and drama professors. The drama program provides the instruction and inspiration aspiring theater students are looking for before they venture to the next step.

“We are in the process of revamping the existing department to make the curriculum more comprehensive and sequential. In short, we are aiming to create a training program that prepares our students for the vocational demands of a practical profession. We are developing our program for the career oriented theatre student who would like to study the basic principles of acting, vocal technique & movement for the stage, classical acting and technical theatre,” said Professor Greg Foro, a Delta drama professor.

Foro and Professor Ashlee Temple are two of the faculty members transitioning the drama program to a new vision.
It’s becoming “a really rigorous training program for actors so that they can transfer into the four year colleges or also get apprenticeships and internships when they leave,” said Temple.

The program focuses on preparing students for a wide selection of futures.

“For our folks who want to really go in and be an actor, we just want to prep them so that they have a variety of choices when they leave here. Whether it’s a four year, or they want to go work at a theater, or an intern, or if they want to go straight to New York. We want to prepare them for that,” added Temple.
Like many subjects, there really isn’t a singular pathway to take in theater.

The professors instill this in their students and try to guide students towards the direction they wish to pursue.

“The training and techniques developed in theatre and drama courses include presentation skills necessary for aptitude in any career discipline- leadership experience, creative thinking, problem solving methods, the critical analysis of various texts, and the ability to collaborate with an ensemble or professional team,” said Foro.

Unfortunately, the arts are often overlooked in a school setting.

Theater and other arts mean a great deal to many people and students on this campus.

“Theater expands your mind and your heart and your soul. You are constantly having to look at other perspectives. When you get a play and you have to play someone who’s not normally someone you would even know, when you play that person it’s like you have a relationship with them. So you’re introduced to so many people through characters and through playwrights … On that level, theater… is a very human experience,” said Temple.

Foro offered similar thoughts.
“Drama is important at every level of development regardless of the age. Storytelling and communicating thoughts to diverse groups of people has always been an integral part of the human experience. With any drama program students experience a diverse set of ideas, principles and perspectives that will help to expand their point of view and lead to a greater understanding of our collective society,” he said.