Water polo prepares for Big 8 run

1028
0

Women’s Water Polo ended its stellar season on Oct. 28 with a 12-8 victory over the American River College Beavers (8-11).

The win was the 20th of the season, and capped a 20-4 record overall. Sophomore Brooke Mahoney put together a solid season with 31 goals, 22 assists and 21 steals.

waterpolo“We play really well together as a team, and we’re confident in each other’s abilities,” said Mahoney.

Freshman Madison Hulse, is one of five freshmen to play in 21 or more games.

“Everyone’s eager to get out there, and that just spreads throughout the team and makes everyone want to try hard,” said Hulse.

Youth is what completes this team, as Delta must replace sophomores who move on to four-year universities.

Despite the change overs, the Mustangs have put together a season that puts them among the top seeded teams going into the Big 8 Championship game held at American River College.

“We’re ready for next weekend, we’re just ready to get out there, we’re ready for the competition,” said Hulse.

The Mustangs’ success is due to its ability to work together, and play harder for each other and work towards a common goal. We’re all proud to be a part of this team, it makes us work harder for each other.”

Success stories also have star players. For the Mustangs, that’s sophomore Lauren Plunkett.

Plunkett stands out from the pack, by achieving eye-popping stats including 70 goals, 36 assists and 37 steals.

In the month of September, Plunkett scored 39 goals, had 18 assists and steals in a 13-game span.

She ended the month by being named Mustang of the Month.

“Definitely deserved, because she works hard, 110 percent during the games and we all feed off of that,” said Hulse. Mahoney echoed the sentiments for Plunkett’s achievement.

“Definitely well deserved, she helps keeps the team focused, she has a very nice shot and she’s able to make a lot of opportunities happen,” said Mahoney.

The Mustangs are headed to American River College for the Big 8 Championship starting today, and concluding on Nov. 7.