Downtown Stockton residents report bed bug infestations

283
0

The Hotel Stockton, which is listed on the National Register of Historic places, is living a new life as an apartment building, but lately there have been some unwelcome guests.

In October, The Record newspaper reported the iconic building, around since 1910, was also home to bed bugs.

Yes, those little blood sucking creatures your parents told you to be wary of after telling you to sleep tight.

The issue has been reported to the city.

“In regard to the complaints of bed bugs managers were told they had 30 days to start fumigating,” said Joe Silva, Public Information Officer for the Stockton Code Enforcement Department.

This Spanish Colonial style hotel has also served as City Hall, County Courthouse and Welfare Department.

The hotel closed in 1960 and reopened in 2004 as what it is today; an affordable place to live for senior citizens and other Stocktonians with low income.

Two elderly residents, who asked to remain anonymous in fear of retaliation from apartment owners, were sitting in the dimly lit lobby and agreed to answer questions.

“I’ve been living here for three to four years and ever since I moved in, there have been bedbugs,” one resident said.

“And cockroaches,” added the other woman.

The Hotel Stockton isn’t the only downtown building with an issue. In September, the Franco Center was fumigated for the same reason, according to various news organizations.