2016 election update

1072
0

In the 2016 election year, the race isn’t just starting to heat up – it’s been on fire for some time.

The campaign for president is an unprecedented, entertaining rollercoaster.

Donald Trump, Hilary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio are voices you currently hear on television, online, on social media and every other outlet.

But what are they really saying and how is it affecting voters?

“[Donald Trump’s support] really shows a lot of people’s anger towards the republican establishment,” said Joel Blank, political science professor and advisor to the Politics and Law club.

Blank said Republican voters have been unhappy with the mainstream Republicans currently in the senate and stand be- hind Trump because, “he has a lot of charisma, he’s angry, and he’s able to feel their pain … I think that’s why he’s been very attractive. He’s not willing to take any BS from any- one.”

The number of candidates for the GOP nomi- nation is larger than in the past. Passions run deep.

“I don’t know if there is any other front runner for the republicans besides Donald Trump and that scares me … The republicans need to get their party together. They need to figure out what we stand for,” said Jessica La Frentz, Treasurer of the Politics and Law Club.

Trump isn’t the only surprising front runner. Sanders has dominated the social media game.

“I think a lot of what’s going on is on social media. Instead of the major corporate media outlets its stuff that’s happening on Facebook and Twitter and … right now Bernie Sanders leads above everyone else as far as how much you hear about him on social media,” said Daniel Franco, Politics and Law club member.

Returns for the Feb. 1 Iowa caucus had close numbers for Sanders and Clinton, with Clinton being declared victor by coin toss.

“Eight months ago nobody would’ve thought that this 75-year-old man … who calls himself a socialist … could possibly win Iowa and New Hampshire … In many ways he is like Donald Trump, he doesn’t take any of the BS,” added Blank.

Sanders’ popularity has been shocking for conservatives.

“I’m surprised about Bernie’s supporters just because a lot of people in America are actually scared of socialists,” said La Frentz.

In the 2014 midterms, about 20 percent of youth voters turned out.

“Even though you feel like your vote doesn’t count, it does. Period,” added La Frentz.

This election has been blasted through every media outlet possible. The question is: Should voters trust the media?

“The public has tuned out the media and that’s why the debates are so important because people can hear the candidates and that’s why you have these huge poll ratings for the Republicans … because people want to hear these candidates and they have no use getting it second hand through the press,” said Blank.