Opening doors for athletes to move on

1020
0
MOVING ON: From left, Yesenia Piceno, Elizabeth Martinez, Rachel Sianez, Meghan Wallace, Amanda Lopez and Jessica Sanchez. PHOTO BY ADRIENNE SORENSON

The life of a student-athlete can be challenging, but young individuals combat this with support from their teammates, coaches, and the overall atmosphere that surrounds Delta College.

Phillip Kimble, starting quarterback for the Mustangs from fall 2014-2015, is a student-athlete who used Delta to catapult himself to success by earning an athletic scholarship to Saint Joseph’s College in Rensselaer, Indiana.

“My time at Delta was a great experience. It was the best thing I could’ve found in my situation,” Kimble said. “Going to Delta College will probably go down as one of the best decisions of my life. It really changed my life, going there, playing football.”

Kimble, who threw for 5,279 yards with a total of 38 passing touchdowns in his career, credits his family, teammates Michael Seawell, Alec Von Alvensleben and head coach Gary Barlow for helping him succeed.

Meghan Wallace, an attacking midfielder for women’s soccer, is another Mustang who found success through the help of her team, coaches and the college.

“Being a student-athlete I think is what actually motivated me to come to school. Going to practice with my friends, having that be the start of my day was always really awesome,” Wallace said. “All the student-athletes are always so involved with each other with The Zone (athletic tutoring center) … I just really enjoyed that atmosphere.”

Wallace, scorer of 15 career goals and offensive team MVP, relishes the close bonds with all of her teammates and head coach Adrienne Sorenson.

“I think that the team taught me a work ethic that I think not only applies to on the field, but with my school work,” Wallace said. “With Delta I feel like I put my best foot forward in everything I do now and I look at things with more positivity and I think it’s because of Adrienne.”

Wallace will take this positive mindset and work ethic with her as she attends Holy Names University in Oakland with an athletic scholarship next fall, alongside team captain Amanda Lopez.

The holding midfielder and team MVP also believes the environment around Delta conducts good energy and attributes these vibes to her teammates especially coach Sorenson for pushing her to become a better student, player, and person.

Lopez, will use her athletic scholarship to acquire her bachelor’s degree in biological sciences at HNU and encourages other student-athletes to follow her example at Delta.

“I wanted the opportunity to keep playing and I love it at Delta,” Lopez said. “It was a great experience and I would refer it to anyone else especially being an athlete, it’s like a huge stepping stone to learn responsibilities and be on the right direction.”