Smokers not welcome

671
0
Smoking is banned not only on Delta’s campus, but also at all RTD bus stops, leaving Delta’s smokers few options. PHOTO BY RICHARD REYES

Delta College’s smokers may need to find a new spot to smoke because on Jan. 1, the San Joaquin Regional Transit District (RTD) banned smoking from its bus stops.

According to the RTD website, this smoke free policy applies to passengers and drivers. Smokers aren’t allowed to smoke anywhere within 20 feet of all transit facilities and bus stops.

Smokers aren’t happy about this.

Smoking was banned from the Delta campus in the summer 2014.

Smokers migrated to the spot near the RTD bus stop facing Pacific Avenue, since it’s not Delta property.

“I feel like they taking my freedom away,” said Roshon Blueford, a student at Delta College. “It’s a free country, and I’m happy to live here, but it’s upsetting. I feel like our freedoms and privileges are being taking away more and more.”

The ban comes for similar reasons as Delta’s.

“RTD is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for our employees, our customers, and our community,” said Donna Demartino, General Manager/CEO of RTD in a RTD news release. “The smoke and tobacco-free policy supports this commitment by reducing exposure to second hand smoke and tobacco waste products.”

With smoking banned on campus and at the bus stop, smokers will have to go farther off campus to smoke to avoid getting citations.

According to the Delta website, the fine for the first citation is $33, second $66 dollars and a third is $100.

If a student continues to smoke on campus, they could then be “subjected to academic discipline,” according to campus policy.

Citations will also be issued to those who smoke at the bus stop.

“I’m still gonna smoke here,” said Jack Tennyson, Delta student. “They already kicked us off campus. Where else am I gonna go?”

On the Delta website, District Police Sgt. Mario Vazquez said why smoking was banned from Delta’s campus and its parking lots.

“In addition to health concerns and secondhand smoke, we received numerous complaints from both smokers and non-smokers regarding garbage, cigarette butts, harassment and illegal activities, including smoking and selling of marijuana.”