Horton Gallery showcases 3d printed art

415
0

The L.H. Horton Jr. Art Gallery in the Shima building has opened its doors with a new exhibit running from February 25 to March 17 open at eleven every day except Sunday.

This time the gallery features work from two of Delta’s visual arts professors: Gary Carlos, Professor of Sculpture and 3D Design, and Shenny Cruces, Associate Professor of Art and Ceramics.

The exhibit features two artists rather than the customary one to feature Carlos, a veteran Delta professor who’s returned from a sabbatical taken to learn the use of 3D printing and Cruces, the newly appointed professor of ceramics.

Both artists have earned recognition for their work.

Carlos’ work has been featured in national exhibits, and featured in publications such as “Confrontational Ceramics” by Judith Schwartz, according to the exhibit pamphlet.

Cruces’ work has won a Murphy Cadogan Fellowship and a Kiln God Award Residency in Maine’s Watershed Center for the Ceramic Arts.

The works differ vastly in style. Professor Carlos makes use of 3D printed replicas of an aerial view of the San Joaquin area to bring his contributions to the exhibit to life.

Visitors can participate in Professor Carlos’ project by looking at an aerial map of the San Joaquin region and copying the image on a slip of paper to be deposited into a clear nearby box to be later used to create a much larger image.

According to his artist statement, the work is intended to examine the landscapes we shape and how they reflect the modern outlook towards the world and nature.

Cruces makes use of objects she finds and purchase in thrift stores and china shops.

Professor Cruces stated she was interested and inspired by “active collecting. When we start collecting certain things and everyone around us; parents, siblings, etc. start buying us those things. Sooner or later those objects and those people fade away, and you start to collect those items again and keep them not for your love of those items, but because they remind you of those loved ones, so it’s kind of a detritus of one’s life,” she said.

The gallery is open to the public. Admission is free.