Disney’s ‘Zootopia’ brings impactful message

1515
0

Disney’s latest animated film brings more than just talking animals to the big screen.

“Zootopia” spotlights many fundamental issues presented in today’s society and people are responding.

According to USA Today, “The domestic total stands at $142.6 million after 10 days, and another $83.1 million internationally has run its worldwide tally to $431.3 million.”

The audience follows the story of the protagonist, Judy Hopps, who is a small bunny from a farm town on the outskirts of Zootopia.

Hopps makes it clear from the beginning she wants to be a big city police officer, despite her family and schoolmates telling her she can’t because there’s never been a bunny cop before.

Hopps is motivated by the lack of support and makes it to the big city where the major plot story begins.

The important thing about Judy Hopps is the impact she has on young children. This is a strong female lead that is on a quest to achieve her own goals, as opposed to some handsome prince.

Disney females have been criticized as women who only care about finding the perfect man to complete their lives. A protagonist such as Hopps is the complete opposite of this.

Hopps not only defies everyone by becoming a bunny cop, but still fights for equal treatment while working in the field. Hopps refuses to be stuck with parking duty and insists she work on important cases like the other officers.

It is not just Judy Hopps’ character that makes this movie so important. It is the social problems the film mirrors.

In civilized Zootopia, predators and prey live in harmony. Or so we think.

Throughout the plot, it is revealed there are some serious problems between predator and prey. Both want to live in harmony, but are continuously labeled and stereotyped by their breed.

We can see this very real tension in US society through historical social movements such as the Women’s Right Movement, the Civil Rights Movement and currently the Black Lives Matter campaign.

Zootopia is teaching children it doesn’t matter where you come from or what you look like. They show the public through these civilized talking animals our social problems are rooted in outdated beliefs based on racism and we need to leave those beliefs in the past.

The movie received a 99% Rotten Tomatoes score and the critics consensus was: “The brilliantly well-rounded Zootopia offers a thoughtful, inclusive message that’s as rich and timely as its sumptuously state-of-the-art animation — all while remaining fast and funny enough to keep younger viewers entertained.”

Judy Hopps continuously preaches, “In Zootopia, anyone can be anything” bringing hope and ambition to all who watch.