Gun control debate denied a moderate view

727
0

In today’s politically charged society you’re forced to take one side or the other on a social issue without being allowed a middle ground

“Folks who do not like guns is fine. But we have millions of people who are gun owners in this country -99.9% of those people obey the law,” says Bernie Sanders in an interview on CNN. Sanders always said in the interview, “I want to see real, serious debate and action on guns, but it is not going to take place if we simply have extreme positions on both sides. I think I can bring us to the middle.”

The common misconception when it comes to gun control is that you’re either for or against guns. What about the middle ground?

The medium to me is stricter background checks and a restriction on what kind of guns you’re allowed to purchase. On one side a liberal-minded individual wants local officials and the military to be the only people allowed to carry a firearm. One the other side a conservative-minded individual wants the law-abiding citizen to be able to carry firearms.

Today, the debate is extremely heated because of the mass shooting that are happening regularly around the U.S.. From 2013 to October 3, 2015 there have been 175 school shootings in America alone. According to the “Gun Violence Archive” website there are nine pages devoted to mass shooting victims. This stirs the debate because the in between ground can be lost due to emotional reactions. These numbers push the liberals more left and the conservatives more right.

My liberal point of view says we don’t need weapons that our military uses, to protect ourselves and we don’t need those for survival. However, my conservative viewpoint says guns should still be sold to anyone who is fully licensed.

We need to stand back and try not to act emotional to the situation. This only drives us further apart on any political issue. There are other issues too that are driving us apart, like Planned Parenthood and Welfare.

Now, whether one side is right or wrong continues the debate. However, the fact that there’s no middle ground gets us nowhere.

Today, one side of a debate is promoted just as much as the other without showing a solution. The solution to solving problems is being able to work with people on the other side of your opinion. We have to join together, not separate farther apart.