Freshmen looking forward to new challenges

1226
0

Countless student-athletes enter Delta College with the goal of earning an athletic scholarship to a Division I university — few receive the honor — even fewer due so with three years of eligibility remaining.

Alex Dentoni, 19, and Andre Lindsey, 20, have accomplished this feat as they’ve committed earlier this month to taking their talents to Sacramento State in the fall.

Dentoni, a right-handed pitcher for Delta baseball, leads the starting staff in wins (seven), strikeouts (56), innings pitched (69), earned-run average (2.74) and with only one loss on the season.

“Outstanding job. He’s came a long way from last year, he redshirted last year,” Delta coach Reed Peters said. “He really improved his arm strength, his velocity, just really worked hard and it’s a tribute to him that he’s out there starting for us now.”

Dentoni could’ve made the move from Stockton to Sacramento sooner as the Sac State Hornets had offered to bring him into the program last fall, but after talking with Peters it was decided a season in the Big 8 conference would be beneficial.

“I talked to six other schools and [Sac State] were the ones that came at me the hardest and I felt like I was really wanted over there,” Dentoni said. “I’m going to have a real good opportunity to pitch over there and that’s what I’m really looking forward to.”

Lindsey, a local product of Stagg High School, will have his share of opportunities to excel at Sac State too as he competes in both track and football as a hurdler and wide receiver.

Competing at the Division I level as a two-sport athlete is a rarity, yet more uncommon is the fact Lindsey was recruited to join the Hornets football program during his track and field visit at Sac State.

“I was talking with coach Jeff Magley during my visit and as I was there I seen the football coach and he remembered me from high school. He asked if I had film (highlights),” Lindsey said. “I sent him my film and told me he’d get back to me within a few weeks or so. Ended up getting back to me a few days later and said, ‘We want you right away.’”

Included in  Lindsey’s highlight reel, was his 24-yard leaping touchdown reception against American River College in overtime on Nov. 21 that not only won Delta the Gridiron Bowl, but helped win over Sac State coaches as well.

However, these accomplishments from the Stockton native wouldn’t have been possible had Lindsey continued his old habits of neglecting his school work.

“The first semester I spent here it didn’t go so well because I was still in a high school mindset. Procrastination is all I did,” Lindsey said. “That didn’t work out and I realized I needed to change. The following semester I focused more on the books and I ended up doing great.”

Lindsey and Dentoni will look to finish the year strong both academically and athletically at Delta College and will enter the fall semester at Sac State with three years of athletic eligibility.

“I’m so blessed to be able to compete in both sports at Sac State,” Lindsey said. “Being able to compete at the D1 level is the highest form of sports so that’s big right there.”