Mustang’s playoff bound

1274
0

Delta College Mustangs’ baseball (fourth place, Big 8) has once again made into the postseason, this will mark their fourth consecutive playoff appearance and it’s fifth in six years.

The road to the postseason play was challenging considering that Delta had to replace three of the team’s starting pitchers that left during the off-season.

The three teams that finished ahead of the Mustangs in the Big 8 were Santa Rosa (first place), Consumnes River (second place) and Sacramento City (third place).

In contests against these three teams, Delta struggled in a combined 3-6 and going winless versus first place Santa Rosa.

The Mustangs’ may be entering the playoffs as clear underdogs to past postseason play.

The Mustang’s have been the runner-up (2014, 2015) in the California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) Falling both times to the Orange Coast Pirates.

However, not everyone makes the playoffs and the Mustangs’ did and it pays tribute to certain standouts throughout the season.

Freshman second baseman Carlos Moseley finished with a .376 batting average (BA), 38 runs batted in and 11 doubles.

Sac State commit, Alex Dentoni, pitched 82 innings, garnering a 64 strikeout total and a 3.07 earned run average (ERA).

Delta begins the playoffs on Friday versus Butte College (first place, Golden Valley), which will be a best of three in Oroville, CA.