Raiders submit application for Vegas move

803
0

n Aug. 20, the Oakland Raiders submitted a request to have the “Las Vegas Raiders” name trademarked.

“I think they’re going to lose possibly their fans. They’ve been in the Bay for a while and everyone from California is not going to want to drive to Vegas. Actual fans will, but people that are local won’t want to go watch them,” said Delta student Saul Ochoa a Seahawks fan of 4 years.

This application doesn’t guarantee the Raiders will move. All this application does is show the league the team is serious about getting a new home if things don’t improve.

The Raiders have been sharing a stadium with the Oakland A’s since 1968.

The stadium is in desperate need of an overhaul and Oakland has denied a request to build a new stadium before.

This caused the team to pursue a possible relocation to Los Angeles.

The San Diego Chargers and St. Louis Rams were also in contention for the new Los Angeles Stadium.

The Rams however, won the pulling for Los Angeles, while the Chargers came in second and Raiders last.

The Raiders are the only team in the NFL still sharing a stadium with a Major League Baseball counterpart.

“I think a lot of teams would feel that if one of the teams that isn’t so good gets their own stadium then everyone should,” said Delta student Tre’ Collins a Raider fan of 17 years.

The dirt used by the A’s has caused a lot of concern because it creates a hard surface, unsafe for National Football League players.

“I don’t think it’s going to happen. I feel like the Raiders are so bad they just need some kind of reputation to get more views,” said Delta student Davien Lopez a Raider fan of 23 years.

The Raiders have not had a winning record in 13 years. Causing the move to be more questionable.

If this does become a reality and the “Black Hole” moves to Las Vegas this wouldn’t be the first time the Raiders moved away.

In 1980, Al Davis tried to get improvements to the stadium, but was shut down. He then signed a deal with Los Angeles to move his franchise down there. However, the board of owners denied his request unanimously.
Davis, furiously took the NFL to court and won the rights to move his franchise down south. The Silver and Black then set sail to LA and the Los Angeles Coliseum in 1982.

The team prospered in those Los Angeles years with winning two Super Bowls.

The franchise moved back to Oakland in 1995 because the city of LA didn’t follow through on its promises of a more modern stadium.