House of Ice Cream offers fun twist on treats

1085
0
An ice cream-filled doughnut sandwich at House of Ice Cream. PHOTO BY MIDORI MORITA

Fall has officially begun and that means bringing out the big sweaters, boots and drinking your favorite hot drinks while snuggling up in a blanket watching your favorite holiday films.

Stockton’s House of Ice cream is changing that this year. After opening in May it has became one of the city’s go-to destinations in the last few months.

The House of Ice Cream was started by a local Stockton couple, Roderick and Aminda Tyler, who wanted to share something new with the city of Stockton.

“We knew we wanted to start a business and the idea just came to us one day,” said Roderick Tyler.

Along with promoting their business, the Tyler’s hope to inspire the youth in the inner city so they too know there is opportunity for success.

“If they see me, a young black kid from the inner city being successful, I want them to know that there is more than just the streets out there for them,” said Roderick Tyler.

Inspired after taking business courses at San Joaquin Delta College, the young owners are looking forward to expanding their business in Stockton and potentially throughout California in the coming years.

“We want to go real fast, we want to open something on the North side of Stockton to balance it out here,” said Roderick.

The menu includes a variety of ice cream flavors, donut and waffle ice cream sandwiches and their most famous crazy milkshakes.

“I love it there, the milkshakes are so good,” said Makana Shim.

The crazy milkshake is the most popular thing on the menu consisting of a “milkshake of any ice cream that you’d like, an extra ice cream scoop on top, a donut on topped with whip cream and toppings all in a mason jar that you can take home,” said Tyler.

Just recently a “happy hour” was put into place from Monday through Wednesday starting at 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. During these times single ice cream scoops are $1 and ice cream donuts are $3.

The location is open everyday from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. and offers plenty of seating for friends and groups to enjoy desserts together. It also offers options for catering and take out orders.

With the colder months approaching, The House of Ice Cream team finds it motivating to try and find innovative ways to bring the community in and keep its location a destination.