WATCH THIS: ‘Get Out’ provides unsettling, hysterical plot with racial twists

1644
0

Writer-director Jordan Peele has most definitely produced one of the best horror, thriller and suspenseful films yet.

“Get Out” is a therapeutic horror film that’s mostly taking aim at racial tension that’s currently happening through America. It is the No. 1 film, making $30 million in the box office last weekend, according to Rotten Tomatoes.

The film has also reached 99 percent on the Tomatometer and critics such as Screen Rant, Plugged In and Wall Street Journal have all given Peele’s film mostly positive reviews. “Get Out” is both unsettling and hysterical with a racial twist.

But here’s one thing: The film is really that good.

We need more directors that are willing to take risks with films like Peele. It’s current and important and most likely will be one of the best thrillers of the year.

Peele is best known as comic partner to Keegan-Michael Key on the Comedy Central sketch show Key & Peele. The two also starred in a recent action-comedy film, “Keanu”.

The storyline for “Get Out” follows Chris (Daniel Kaluuya) and his girlfriend Rose (Allison Williams), an interracial couple who are traveling out of town for Chris to visit Roses’ parents for the first time.

Rose tells Chris that her family is not going to be judgmental about her having an African American boyfriend, but Chris has his doubts.

Upon meeting the parents, everything seems fine at first. Roses’ mother, Missy (Catherine Keener) is a psychologist who uses hypnosis to “cure” her patients. Her father, Dean (Bradley Whitford) is a successful neurosurgeon.

The parents seem nice, but what catches Chris’ attention is Missy and Dean’s servants, a maid and a groundskeeper, who happen to be black.

Both come off as a bit zombie-ish and Dean admits having black servants in an all-white family “looks bad.”

Being suspicious, Chris begins to unravel a terrifying truth as he meets more people in this all white suburb neighborhood who’s black “friend” is acting just as strange as the maid and groundskeeper.

Unraveling the evil in the neighborhood immediately can make you feel somewhat uneasy. The film attains such momentum in crazy revelations, jump scares and gruesome fights.

The interactions Chris has with the neighbors is outwardly suspenseful and can make you curious to know what exactly is going on with them or what this family is hiding.

“Get Out” is an extremely confident debut feature for Peele, and it is truly frightening. It’s so perfectly calibrated that every escalation feels organic. But best of all, to me, is the flow of the story.

The film begins as an awkward situation of meeting the in-laws but soon becomes something much much worse as the story proceeds. Peele deserves all the recognition for “Get Out.” It’s truly a must see, and an openly meaningful horror film.