Cancer warning labels on tobacco products? OK, sure.

But cancer warning labels on coffee?

That’s apparently the goal for one non-profit group as it pushes for coffee manufacturers, distributors and retailers in California to post cancer warning labels on coffee products.

A carcinogen called acrylamide is what has this group up in arms about.

Acrylamide is a chemical that’s a natural byproduct in the coffee-making process.

However, the amount is so low that there is no actual proof that it will cause cancer.

So why bother with the label?

Acrylamide is present in coffee and under California law, specifically Proposition 65, any business with 10 or more employees are required to inform its consumers if they’re about to eat or drink anything that contains a harmful chemical regardless if the amount present is dangerous.

Even so this is a bit much.

Coffee is a big part of a lot of people’s lives.

Granted I don’t think the purpose of this group’s intention is to cause panic among consumers about the possibility of getting cancer.

It’s good to have all the information before someone commits to buying a product. However, I don’t think a warning label is going to deter many consumers from buying a cup of coffee.

“I’m not much of a coffee drinker but I’ll have one every now and again. A sticker that says you might get cancer isn’t going to stop me. I think it’s stupid but it ain’t going to stop me,” said April Simental.

Nearly 40 million U.S. adults still continue to smoke cigarettes, and about 4.7 million middle and high school students use at least one tobacco product, this including e-cigarettes, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention

All of those products carry cancer warning labels because they have been proven to having a direct link to causing cancer.

There’s no definitive proof that coffee causes cancer and to put a cancer warning label just because it has one chemical that is a natural byproduct and comes in such a low dosage is simply overstepping and isn’t going to deter people.

“I’m still going to drink coffee even if it kills me. You could die from a lot of things I doubt I’ll die from coffee,” said Dinal Elias.

The notion of cancer warning labels on coffee is ridiculous.

What’s next? Signs outside that say being outside might give you cancer?