Delta dabbles in Hunger Games

1165
0

Delta students returned to campus for the fall semester  to find that Danner Hall will be closed this semester and no hot food will be served.

Although students raised concerns regarding the limited hours of operation of  food services, as well as little food choices last semester, Delta headed in a new direction.

Chris Nguyen, vice president of Administrative Services explained that due to early retirement programs, many of the food service employees left.

“The food services had seven employees and five of them took the early retirement, leaving few of them left. So automatically this was not enough to work the food services.”

Limited staff led to Delta deciding to take a year to assess the situation and figure out how to make better revenue than the Danner Hall cafeteria, as well as a more progressive way to fit all needs of the constituents.

“What has been offered in the past such as the Bookstore food takes care of those students who want quick food to grab. Then in the afternoon we have food trucks,” said Nguyen.

In spite of new alternative food options being available for students, there are still some students and faculty who have concerns with the new adjustments.

Teresa Gutierrez, Instructional Support Assistant, voiced her opinion regarding the new lunch trucks on campus.

“We have over 450 athletes many of whom come to school without eating breakfast. Most of them have relied on there being hot food in the cafeteria, not just pizza or hot dogs.”

Faculty and students explained that even though there are lunch options many students and faculty are missing out on early breakfast food.

Delta student Makayla Arnold explained that even though campus food trucks are convenient, they are not the same as Danner Hall food.

“I loved going there in between classes! The food trucks are good and I’m glad for the variety but I miss going in there and getting breakfast,” said Arnold.

In addition, the newer food being served on campus was not centrally located for the first few weeks of campus.

“We are working on making the trucks more centrally located so students aren’t walking far,” said Nguyen.

As of Sept., 10 food services to address students’ concerns regarding the food trucks being spread out. The resolution was to put majority of food trucks in the Locke 4 parking lot.

The current food situation on campus is not one that is locked in place nor a permanent solution, according to Nguyen. Adjustments are still being made to better please students.

Delta college food trucks provide alternative eating options due to the closing of the Danner Hall hot food services. PHOTO BY MIKAEL HONZELL

A banner at Danner Hall provides information about the finding food on campus. PHOTO BY VICTORIA FRANCO